Wat doen netwerkmanagers eigenlijk?

Management van publieke-sectornetwerken in de praktijk

Translated title of the contribution: What do network managers actually do?: Management of public sector networks in practice

Frank Beemer, Nick Huiszoon, Frank Mossevelde, J. Raab

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

Abstract

In de laatste decennia zijn publieke sector netwerken steeds belangrijker geworden voor de productie van publieke goederen en diensten. Maar de kennis hoe deze netwerken gemanaged worden is nog steeds beperkt. Deze studie verkent daarom de taken, activiteiten and gedrag van managers van netwerken in de publieke sector in de dagelijkse praktijk. In de traditie van Mintzbergs The nature of managerial work (1973) en de ‘work-activity school’ werden er zes netwerkmanagers in de Nederlandse gezondheidssector en criminaliteitspreventie een week lang geobserveerd en voerden deze managers ook een zelfevaluatie uit. De bevindingen geven uitsluitsel over met welke taken en activiteiten netwerkmanagers bezig zijn, hoe zij hun tijd besteden en welke taken zij zelf belangrijk vinden. De typologie van Provan en Milward (2006) voor netwerkmanagementtaken werd gebruikt als basaal analytisch kader. De resultaten laten zien dat netwerkmanagers circa 60% van hun tijd aan specifieke netwerkmanagementtaken besteden, waarbij het management van legitimiteit en commitment als taken naar voren komen waaraan de meeste tijd gespendeerd wordt. De overige 40% wordt aan meer traditionele managementtaken gespendeerd, die zowel netwerk als niet-netwerk gerelateerd zijn. Het paper sluit af met een discussie over implicaties and aanbevelingen voor de praktijk, onderwijs van netwerkmanagers en verder onderzoek.

Public sector networks have increasingly become important for the delivery of public goods and services in the last decades. However, our knowledge, how these networks are managed is still limited. This study therefore explores the tasks, activities and behavior of managers of public sector networks in their daily practice. In the tradition of Mintzberg’s The nature of managerial work (1973) and the work-activity school, six network managers in the Dutch healthcare and crime prevention sectors were observed for a week and also conducted a self assessment. The findings provide insights in what tasks and activities network managers conduct, how they allocate their time and link this to what tasks they consider as important. The typology by Provan and Milward (2006) on network management tasks was used as a basic analytical framework. The results show that network managers devote about 60% of their time to specific network management tasks with the management of legitimacy and commitment being the most prominent ones. The other 40% are devoted to more traditional management tasks both network and non-network related. The paper concludes with implications and recommendations for practice, the training of network managers and further research.


Original languageDutch
Pages (from-to)30-52
JournalM & O: Tijdschrift voor Management en Organisatie
Volume72
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 2018

Fingerprint

Managers
Public sector
Network management
Managerial work
Legitimacy
Crime prevention
Healthcare
Self-assessment
Public services
Language
Activity network

Keywords

  • network management
  • managerial work
  • management tasks
  • network manager

Cite this

@article{9b0d6641a2fb41209de12204bebf8066,
title = "Wat doen netwerkmanagers eigenlijk?: Management van publieke-sectornetwerken in de praktijk",
abstract = "In de laatste decennia zijn publieke sector netwerken steeds belangrijker geworden voor de productie van publieke goederen en diensten. Maar de kennis hoe deze netwerken gemanaged worden is nog steeds beperkt. Deze studie verkent daarom de taken, activiteiten and gedrag van managers van netwerken in de publieke sector in de dagelijkse praktijk. In de traditie van Mintzbergs The nature of managerial work (1973) en de ‘work-activity school’ werden er zes netwerkmanagers in de Nederlandse gezondheidssector en criminaliteitspreventie een week lang geobserveerd en voerden deze managers ook een zelfevaluatie uit. De bevindingen geven uitsluitsel over met welke taken en activiteiten netwerkmanagers bezig zijn, hoe zij hun tijd besteden en welke taken zij zelf belangrijk vinden. De typologie van Provan en Milward (2006) voor netwerkmanagementtaken werd gebruikt als basaal analytisch kader. De resultaten laten zien dat netwerkmanagers circa 60{\%} van hun tijd aan specifieke netwerkmanagementtaken besteden, waarbij het management van legitimiteit en commitment als taken naar voren komen waaraan de meeste tijd gespendeerd wordt. De overige 40{\%} wordt aan meer traditionele managementtaken gespendeerd, die zowel netwerk als niet-netwerk gerelateerd zijn. Het paper sluit af met een discussie over implicaties and aanbevelingen voor de praktijk, onderwijs van netwerkmanagers en verder onderzoek. Public sector networks have increasingly become important for the delivery of public goods and services in the last decades. However, our knowledge, how these networks are managed is still limited. This study therefore explores the tasks, activities and behavior of managers of public sector networks in their daily practice. In the tradition of Mintzberg’s The nature of managerial work (1973) and the work-activity school, six network managers in the Dutch healthcare and crime prevention sectors were observed for a week and also conducted a self assessment. The findings provide insights in what tasks and activities network managers conduct, how they allocate their time and link this to what tasks they consider as important. The typology by Provan and Milward (2006) on network management tasks was used as a basic analytical framework. The results show that network managers devote about 60{\%} of their time to specific network management tasks with the management of legitimacy and commitment being the most prominent ones. The other 40{\%} are devoted to more traditional management tasks both network and non-network related. The paper concludes with implications and recommendations for practice, the training of network managers and further research.",
keywords = "network management, managerial work, management tasks, network manager",
author = "Frank Beemer and Nick Huiszoon and Frank Mossevelde and J. Raab",
year = "2018",
language = "Dutch",
volume = "72",
pages = "30--52",
journal = "M & O: Tijdschrift voor Management en Organisatie",
issn = "0165-1722",
number = "1",

}

Wat doen netwerkmanagers eigenlijk? Management van publieke-sectornetwerken in de praktijk. / Beemer, Frank; Huiszoon, Nick; Mossevelde, Frank; Raab, J.

In: M & O: Tijdschrift voor Management en Organisatie, Vol. 72, No. 1, 2018, p. 30-52.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

TY - JOUR

T1 - Wat doen netwerkmanagers eigenlijk?

T2 - Management van publieke-sectornetwerken in de praktijk

AU - Beemer, Frank

AU - Huiszoon, Nick

AU - Mossevelde, Frank

AU - Raab, J.

PY - 2018

Y1 - 2018

N2 - In de laatste decennia zijn publieke sector netwerken steeds belangrijker geworden voor de productie van publieke goederen en diensten. Maar de kennis hoe deze netwerken gemanaged worden is nog steeds beperkt. Deze studie verkent daarom de taken, activiteiten and gedrag van managers van netwerken in de publieke sector in de dagelijkse praktijk. In de traditie van Mintzbergs The nature of managerial work (1973) en de ‘work-activity school’ werden er zes netwerkmanagers in de Nederlandse gezondheidssector en criminaliteitspreventie een week lang geobserveerd en voerden deze managers ook een zelfevaluatie uit. De bevindingen geven uitsluitsel over met welke taken en activiteiten netwerkmanagers bezig zijn, hoe zij hun tijd besteden en welke taken zij zelf belangrijk vinden. De typologie van Provan en Milward (2006) voor netwerkmanagementtaken werd gebruikt als basaal analytisch kader. De resultaten laten zien dat netwerkmanagers circa 60% van hun tijd aan specifieke netwerkmanagementtaken besteden, waarbij het management van legitimiteit en commitment als taken naar voren komen waaraan de meeste tijd gespendeerd wordt. De overige 40% wordt aan meer traditionele managementtaken gespendeerd, die zowel netwerk als niet-netwerk gerelateerd zijn. Het paper sluit af met een discussie over implicaties and aanbevelingen voor de praktijk, onderwijs van netwerkmanagers en verder onderzoek. Public sector networks have increasingly become important for the delivery of public goods and services in the last decades. However, our knowledge, how these networks are managed is still limited. This study therefore explores the tasks, activities and behavior of managers of public sector networks in their daily practice. In the tradition of Mintzberg’s The nature of managerial work (1973) and the work-activity school, six network managers in the Dutch healthcare and crime prevention sectors were observed for a week and also conducted a self assessment. The findings provide insights in what tasks and activities network managers conduct, how they allocate their time and link this to what tasks they consider as important. The typology by Provan and Milward (2006) on network management tasks was used as a basic analytical framework. The results show that network managers devote about 60% of their time to specific network management tasks with the management of legitimacy and commitment being the most prominent ones. The other 40% are devoted to more traditional management tasks both network and non-network related. The paper concludes with implications and recommendations for practice, the training of network managers and further research.

AB - In de laatste decennia zijn publieke sector netwerken steeds belangrijker geworden voor de productie van publieke goederen en diensten. Maar de kennis hoe deze netwerken gemanaged worden is nog steeds beperkt. Deze studie verkent daarom de taken, activiteiten and gedrag van managers van netwerken in de publieke sector in de dagelijkse praktijk. In de traditie van Mintzbergs The nature of managerial work (1973) en de ‘work-activity school’ werden er zes netwerkmanagers in de Nederlandse gezondheidssector en criminaliteitspreventie een week lang geobserveerd en voerden deze managers ook een zelfevaluatie uit. De bevindingen geven uitsluitsel over met welke taken en activiteiten netwerkmanagers bezig zijn, hoe zij hun tijd besteden en welke taken zij zelf belangrijk vinden. De typologie van Provan en Milward (2006) voor netwerkmanagementtaken werd gebruikt als basaal analytisch kader. De resultaten laten zien dat netwerkmanagers circa 60% van hun tijd aan specifieke netwerkmanagementtaken besteden, waarbij het management van legitimiteit en commitment als taken naar voren komen waaraan de meeste tijd gespendeerd wordt. De overige 40% wordt aan meer traditionele managementtaken gespendeerd, die zowel netwerk als niet-netwerk gerelateerd zijn. Het paper sluit af met een discussie over implicaties and aanbevelingen voor de praktijk, onderwijs van netwerkmanagers en verder onderzoek. Public sector networks have increasingly become important for the delivery of public goods and services in the last decades. However, our knowledge, how these networks are managed is still limited. This study therefore explores the tasks, activities and behavior of managers of public sector networks in their daily practice. In the tradition of Mintzberg’s The nature of managerial work (1973) and the work-activity school, six network managers in the Dutch healthcare and crime prevention sectors were observed for a week and also conducted a self assessment. The findings provide insights in what tasks and activities network managers conduct, how they allocate their time and link this to what tasks they consider as important. The typology by Provan and Milward (2006) on network management tasks was used as a basic analytical framework. The results show that network managers devote about 60% of their time to specific network management tasks with the management of legitimacy and commitment being the most prominent ones. The other 40% are devoted to more traditional management tasks both network and non-network related. The paper concludes with implications and recommendations for practice, the training of network managers and further research.

KW - network management

KW - managerial work

KW - management tasks

KW - network manager

M3 - Article

VL - 72

SP - 30

EP - 52

JO - M & O: Tijdschrift voor Management en Organisatie

JF - M & O: Tijdschrift voor Management en Organisatie

SN - 0165-1722

IS - 1

ER -